|Related names||Katherine, Kaye, Kayanna, Kail, Kayla, Kaylee|
|Look up Kay in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The name Kay \kay\ is found both as a surname (see Kay (surname)) and as a given name. In English-speaking countries it is usually a girl's name, often a short form of Katherine or one of its variants; but it is also used as a first name in its own right, and (more often in non-English families) as a boy's name. As an English name it is pronounced kay. The alternative spelling Kaye is encountered as a surname, but also occasionally as a given name; for instance, actress Kaye Ballard.
A dynesty name:
- Gakhars therefore use the ancient royal Persian title "Kay or "Kayani as did the Sassanian aristocracy as they claim connection with the semi-mythological Kayani Kings of ancient Iran.
A female first name:
- Kay Bailey Hutchison, the senior United States Senator from Texas
- Kay Elson, Australian Liberal Party politician
- Kay Hull, Australian Liberal Party politician
- Kay Hagan, the junior United States Senator from North Carolina
- Kay Kendall, British actress
- Kay A. Orr, United States Republican Party politician
- Kay Panabaker, an actress
- Kay Redfield Jamison, American professor of psychiatry and writer who is an expert on bipolar disorder
- Kay Tse, a popular singer from Hong Kong
A male first name (see also Kai (name)):
The name of a fictional character:
- Agent K, a character in the Men In Black film series and animated series
- Sir Kay, character from Arthurian legend
- Kay, a protagonist in the video game Legend of Kay.
- Kay, also spelled Kai, a character in Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen
- Kay, a character in the Vertigo comic series Fables.
A brand name or pseudonym:
- Kay Musical Instrument Company, brand name of a double bass popular with blues, bluegrass and jazz bass players.
- DJ Kayslay, the ringmaster of the new hip-hop rivalries
- Kay Jewelers, a fine jewelry store chain in the United States
- Mary Kay is a brand of skin care and color cosmetics in USA
Kay may also be:
- the surname Kay
- K, the eleventh letter in the Latin alphabet
- 'kay, short for okay, a term of approval or assent
- an epithet for a ruler of the mythological Kayanian dynasty
- Kay, an album by John Wesley Ryles, or its title track